Friday 28 June 2013

Food for thought-Being accountable to God -1 Kings 21:28-29 (NIV)

Old King Ahab Sucks!

Then the word of the Lord came to Elijah the Tishbite: "Have you noticed how Ahab has humbled himself before me? Because he has humbled himself, I will not bring this disaster in his day, but I will bring it on his house in the days of his son."
-1 Kings 21:28-29 (NIV)

About Ahab; (referenced from Wikipedia)
........ Ahab himself was a wicked person,and he was easily influenced by his wife, and this led to his destruction. In Rabbinic Literature, there are three women who caused the deaths of their husbands, Eve, Delilah and Jezebel.



Mr and Mrs Ahab had the habit of worshipping Baal and doing wicked things to their people. Ahab was a wicked man, who was supported by his wife Jezebel to carry out his evil schemes , and also to direct his worship towards pagan gods.
Elisha came along to tell him what God was going to do, God was going to bring destruction upon Ahab, but Ahab repented, and God spared him, however, his children had to pay.

This is quite chilling; that results of sin can be paid forward. If this principle is true, then I must have inherited all sorts of 'paid forward sin' from my forebears.
I wonder if cancelling and negating, and denouncing does anything? I wonder if dissociating myself and my future generations from evil deeds I do not even know does anything? Gods sovereignty means, He decides whether or not my sins will be joined together with my predecessors and paid forward to my children! What are the things in our lives that have become 'gods'? How am I influencing my family in this regard? What behaviours am I allowing to run unchecked?

Whoa! Hold on a minute, before I get to running amok with such thoughts.

Thank God for grace, thank God for saving grace, in which Jesus has already paid the price to wash me clean. However, I must not allow sin to run unchecked, and I must be conscious that what I do now may be paid forward to my children and my future generations. I must be aware that my position as a woman in the family is important in terms of my sphere of influence over my husband and children.

I know for sure that Women are created to be gatekeepers. Custodians of Godly legacy, to bring about the nurture and development of children in an environment where they strive towards Godliness. Women are supposed to make choices that are focused on the big picture, the long term spiritual legacy of the family.

I don't know if I am just making an undue fuss, thinking of how my actions will affect my future generations, but I am certain that I wish to be aware of what I am doing and how that may affect the future. God help me!

PRAYER:
I subsume myself in you Lord, in your power and your grace, so that it is you that will order my thoughts and my will for your purpose.
Forgive me Lord for acts , attitudes and thoughts that do not line up with your will for me or my future generations.
Show me the path to walk , so that your name is glorified, in and through my family and myself.
Unto you be all the glory and power Lord.
Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment