Sunday 15 February 2015

GOD IS THE SAME FOREVER


14 God said to Moses, "I AM who I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.' "

Exodus 3:14  NIV

Often in our prayers, Christians use words from the bible. It is great to affirm His word in this way. When we declare that God is the same yesterday, today and forever, it is not just a matter of quoting scripture, it is consistent with something I have observed in my quiet time this morning.

In the Old Testament , well before Christ came to earth as a human, in Exodus 3:14, God reveals Himself to Moses and says who He is. He simply declares 'I AM' 
In Jesus's time on earth, he makes declarations about who He is using various contextual phrases. He used contextual phrases a lot, and the these were taken from the lived experience of His listeners. This is what made Jesus a great teacher. Neuro scientists have discovered that human beings learn better when they can connect to the material in a way that means something to them. You see, Jesus knew this already because He is God and He was there at the beginning and was part of the creative force that put this beautiful earth and all its creatures together. 

John's gospel is packed with the eight powerful I AM statements of Jesus. As I read through them, I was in awe that they are still relevant today, more than 2000 years later! But then, He is God, the same yesterday, today and forever.





No comments:

Post a Comment