Monday 8 May 2017

Sovereign Lord - remembering Marianne and Benedicta

This May 2017 was twelve years since I received the news of my father's passing away. I remember that I was in the car on the Tema beach road in Accra Ghana, and hubby was driving. A phone call came in and the news was broken to me and the beautiful sea scape and beach instantly lost their meaning. The grieving process has taken me through various twists and turns, and I am in a place of peace and acceptance now. Thoughts of my late father, together with just receiving the news that I am all cancer free at my five year check up, brought me to remembering two women. Marianne Dappa and Benedicta Ampong who have also passed on to glory at various times after my Dad. This post is in honour of these two women who like me were diagnosed with breast cancer. We all belonged to the same house fellowship which we hosted in our home for a season. I still cannot get my mind round the fact that out of thirteen or so regular attendees to the fellowship, three women were found to have breast cancer within a short space of time. We could not be from more diverse backgrounds and ages, and the only common threads are the obvious one that we are all women and attend the same fellowship. It is like a cruel coincidence, and definitely a trial in terms of, 'how could God allow this to happen' in so small a group? 


It was devastating to hear the news of the demise of these two sisters. I just cannot fathom why neither of them survived. They were both steadfast in faith and were very strong women. They got good medical interventions. I keep asking why they were called home and why I have survived . I must be honest and say that I sometime felt guilty and I know this is not a rational reaction. It is what it is, and I wish to face it square on and accept the sovereignty of God. Psychologically, it is a challenge to think of. I have not been stronger or more focussed, or stood on the word of God any more than either of them. 


I have been thinking of this over the years and it came up again as I crossed the milestone of five years post surgery. My conclusion is that I don't know the answers to all my questions, or to fully comprehend the pain of separation that their families have been and are going through - God alone decides, He alone knows. It is just by His grace that I am still here. 


So, I wish to celebrate my two sisters in the Lord, co-warriors , who have been called home. To honour their memory and their lives. RIP Marianne Dappa and Benedicta Ampong. May the Lord continue to strengthen their families and all who loved them.

 Amen 🙏🏾




No comments:

Post a Comment