Wednesday 14 June 2017

Be still

Be still and know that I am God


Being still is something I find difficult sometimes. My mind wanders all over the place. I think that the same impetus that gives me great insights in life on the one hand and inspiration for my artwork  on the other, makes me vulnerable to not being still. But yet this is a crucial requirement in hearing from God.

I learnt many things in the season of my life when life threatening sickness and disability was my experience. 

One of the most important things I learnt which I must add that I see now only in retrospect, is to be still. 

Even doing 'good things' like being constantly occupied with kingdom work may also be detrimental to the important discipline of 'being still'

Being still means being quiet on the inside, consciously, and intentionally shutting out all else to create an environment for 'listening' . Listen I must, if I am to be truly led along the right path of purpose and service. Busyness is detrimental to being still, and yet there is so much to do in God's vineyard, there seems to be a shortage of time and people to accomplish it. 

I have written about the 'God DNA' deposited in us in earlier blogs. It is vital that we realize that being still is key to connecting with ourselves, the part of ourselves which is God himself deposited in us. This needs careful nurturing and an enabling environment to grow. This is because it is the part of us that connects us to eternity and values that will never perish. The most important part of us which requires our stillness is 'the image of God in which we were created' It is when we connect with this part of ourselves that we have the experience of looking in the mirror of our spirit man and seeing the true reflection of who we are in Christ Jesus. Here we have confidence, we have true identity and in the stillness of these moments we see and hear God. So today I thought I should take a look at detrimental actions to being still.

They include the following: 

1. Being on my phone far too much

2. I am sometimes like Martha preparing and organizing the home

3. My thought life 

4. My attitudes and motives

5. Entertaining my fears and anxieties

6. Laziness

7. Many activities (even church ones)

So, what is the way forward?

How can I be still as described in Psalm 46:10 ?

.... "Be still, and know that I am God;I will be exalted among the nations,I will be exalted in the earth."

 

Psalms 46:10 | NIV

 

My thoughts

1. It takes PRACTICE

2. It requires being INTENTIONAL

3. It requires being SENSITIVE in the spirit

4. It requires practical things like REARRANGING our schedules

5. It requires RECOGNITION as to when to shut down

6. It requires DISCERNMENT as to what is detrimental 

7. It ultimately requires ROMANS 12:2 

 

In short, in order for me to Psalm 46:10, I must first Romans 12:2 my life so that 'we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.'

 

2 Corinthians 3:18 | NIV

 

So help me God.

Amen

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment