Sunday 16 November 2014

MOTIVES- a brief study based on Proverbs 16: 1-3 and Romans 10:13

Proverbs 16:1-3 | NIV
1 To humans belong the plans of the heart,but from the Lord comes the proper answer of the tongue. 2 All a person's ways seem pure to them,but motives are weighed by the Lord. 3 Commit to the Lord whatever you do,and he will establish your plans.

Romans 10:13 | NIV
13 for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."



What these scriptures say to me is that as a human being, my decisions and motives are driven by flesh. I am told that the proper answer comes from the Lord. I hear that it is all about my perspective and I am blinkered by my own perceptions. However, God is more interested in my motives, and He weighs them ( judges them)

Motive:
I looked up what words the thesaurus classifies under the word motive, and it is quite instructional. These are a few that jumped out at me: 
-springs of action 
-wellsprings of action 
-reason  
-by purpose 
-keystone 
-the why and the wherefore

These words together powerfully express the root meaning of the word 'motive'.
They further expand my thoughts and understanding of how motives are activated in my life, and therefore how I can be more aware of them.
The why and wherefore that drive my wellsprings of action, are the reason and purpose for which I do , say, or think things. It is by purpose that I do , say and think these things and this is the keystone of my actions. 

Motive is strongly driven by thoughts, some of which are triggered by a complex combination of inherent attitudes and my self will. These thoughts can often be hidden from my conscious knowledge because our flesh man is tricky like that. At war within is always the flesh man masquerading as the real deal, and convincing us that we are justified in our thoughts and actions. Whereas the real deal is what God is saying about a particular situation. 
That is why it is so important to: ' Commit to the Lord whatever you do,and he will establish your plans' as in Proverbs 10:13
This our God has our backs covered , for he says : "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." In Romans 10:13

Prayer:
This morning, I commit my thoughts , ideas and motives into the Lord's hands, I call on the name of the Lord to save me from motives driven by flesh and ask that my mind be transformed with renewal and an opening of my eyes to my motives. I call on the Lord to save me.
Amen 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment