Sunday 2 November 2014

Run for a cure 2014- another year, another reason for gratitude!


Team Lara





























I just felt a sense of gratitude in my heart as I was looking for ways to let heaven take note of how much I appreciate the opportunity to remain in His service. Every year, as I mark one more year of survival, I have feelings that run deep, some of which I cannot articulate or identify. I do not usually bother too much with those feelings, and choose to identify and acknowledge all the great things that have happened.This year, all my arrangements were so last minute and I was not sure I would be able to pull it off. However, with such a wonderful team the day came off so well.
Team Lara logo and slogan

Owanari Duke through CSDON ( Child Survival & Development Organisation of Nigeria) is the promoter of this event, and I am thankful to her and all that she does to bring awareness for childhood, breast and cervical cancer.
As usual, it was a fun filled event, starting with warm up exercises. Team Lara did their best to follow all the instructions being loudly issued over giant loud speakers. Our approximations of what we were asked to do made us all crack up uncontrollably.










In the last two years, I have supported this event by speaking and sharing my experience with breast cancer with the audience, and I posted my notes from last year on this blog. This year, I was an actual participant in the walk! I did about half of the walk, and was very pleased with myself.
The day was more special because it was our son's birthday and he is the designer of our 'Team Lara! ' logo.

Team Lara was created and put together literally in two days. T- shirts were purchased and printing was completed at about seven thirty the evening before the event. Some deliveries were made to 'Team Lara!' participants as late as midnight. We met up bright and early, all sixteen of us and just enjoyed each other's company. Lots of joking and laughing all round, and whipping up heady camaraderie that put us in the perfect spirits to do the walk.









On the walk, we came accross a phrase stencilled on a wall that triggered my thoughts on what I was doing exactly three years ago at the precise time, we walked past the sign. I remember, I was sending our son a birthday greeting from my hospital bed, having had surgery the day before. This year, everything is indeed so different.




Please remember to do regular self examinations , yes, men as well! Seek professional treatment if you find anything irregular. On that note, I will sign off and leave you with  some photos from the day. Cant you just catch the fun?



     









Our logo designer and The birthday boy!


No comments:

Post a Comment