Sunday 22 March 2015

Bible mis quotes-part 2


 

13 Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, 14 “Glory to God in the highest heaven,and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”

 

Luke 2:13-14 | NIV

 

For the moment, I have been examining the idea around this subject and I am continuing my thoughts about bible mis quotes. I have decided that examining the context of scripture will give me more depth and understanding of it. A popular bible teacher called Bill Johnson talks about the need for christians to 'know the tone of God's voice' in one of his videos that I watched. That is a nuance, and a delicate subtle thing- tone. Bill Johnson's assertions corroborate the idea that one should look deeper and wider at scriptures in front of us in order to fully understand/ assimilate what we are supposed to.

 

I have seen countless greeting cards that declare the words in Luke 2:14, but the quote is always cut short after the word peace. I was quite taken aback actually, when i read the second part. It was a 'screech to a halt, woah moment' for me. So the peace on earth we wish everyone at Christmas is actually meant 'for those on whom His favour rests'

What does this mean for you and I?

What does this mean for all the people of our world?

Who are those on whom His favour rests?

 

Please comment on this topic, it would be great to hear your thoughts about it and specifically the questions I have posed here. I look forward to hearing from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment