Tuesday 4 July 2017

Be thou my vision


'Be thou my vision o Lord of my heart' are words from one of my favorite hymns. It stirs me deeply because it is a heart felt prayer. It is an answer to what I have been thinking about over the last few days. These words tell me that my heart must be submitted to the Lordship of Jesus and thereby given 'vision' that is Godly because, aligning with God's vision makes me align with 'growth producing ways'


When I looked up this hymn, I discovered it is an 8th century Irish hymn which was first translated into English in 1912 by Eleanor Hull and published in 1919, after which it was set to the tune called 'Slane'


The words convey eternal truths that were true in the 8th century and these words are as true today, in resonance with this our God: the same yesterday, today and forever. 


May the Lord be the ruler of our hearts and thus direct us to see ourselves first as he sees us, so that we will be clear in our purpose and walk in it. 

Amen 


No comments:

Post a Comment