Wednesday 5 July 2017

The Holy Spirit showed up at the supermarket on Sunday


Straight after church service, hubby and I went to a supermarket to pick up some fruits for dessert after lunch. I was standing in the queue in front of the cashier when a tall man came to stand a few inches away from me with his basket. He was just too close for my comfort and I was irritated, and the narrative in my head was talking about how Nigerians lack discipline and don't respect personal space. Nothing wrong with that but I was surprised at what happened next , because I flipped. 


I yelled at him and asked him to step back and wait his turn. The person behind him echoed this too and I felt justified in my outburst until the Holy Spirit showed up and convicted me. As I was paying for my items I heard so clearly that I must not leave the supermarket with this issue open ended. I must apologize .


So I swallowed humble pie . Then I  turned to the man and said something like  ' I am sorry for shouting at you just now, I just wanted you to know that you were standing too close, and just for you to know that some people don't like this' The man looked at me with such calm and understanding and said ' I appreciate what you have told me'


I walked away profoundly affected because I am not in the habit of snapping like that and yelling at people. But the 'Lord of my heart' became my vision and sent the Holy Spirit to prompt me to apologize. This seems like a small thing but I came away smiling because the Holy Spirit visited the supermarket and thus we know that God is interested in the minute details of our lives.

That we may stumble but He will send the Holy Spirit to guide us.


6 comments:

  1. Aww...actions and reactions! Thanks for biting the humble pie...tough I know πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The humble pie tasted like grit at first, but chomping down changed everything πŸ˜€πŸ˜‚. Thanks for commenting πŸ‘πŸΎ

      Delete
  2. Hmmmmm...thank God He gives us the grace to obey Him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen. I think it is even difficult to hear Him guiding , so a lot of times we miss being set straight. Thank God for His graceπŸ™πŸΎ. Thanks for commenting πŸ˜€

      Delete
  3. Thank you Lara for teaching some important life lessons through this experience. Obedience . . Humility . . Maturity . . . Sensitivity . . . Kindness and the importance of self-control. . . Love Alero Ayida-Otobo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done. Most of all for following that small voice. many no longer even hear it in the rush, hustle and bustle of their lives.

    ReplyDelete